start where you are – PART 3 OF 4: PHYSICAL PILLAR
You can be active, increase your level of physical fitness, without belonging to a gym. Examine whether you spend too much time sedentary and not enough time being active.
YOU CAN GET THE BENEFITS OF EXERCISE without going to the gym by walking, mowing your lawn, cleaning your apartment or house, hiking, swimming, tennis, climbing the stairs in your building or your house, running, yoga, etc.
4 ways to increase physical activity
- Schedule it on your calendar if that will help you until it becomes cemented in your routine.
- Walk to work, get off the train or bus a few stops earlier and walk.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator.
- Set a reminder on your cell phone or smart watch.
find what works for you and do it regularly
So, despite going to the gym five days a week, I don’t burn myself out because I have different exercise routines with varied intensity levels.
ALWAYS listen to your body (the current guidelines recommend 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity or 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity weekly); and strength training at least twice per week. As you age, you lose muscle mass, which is essential for your metabolism and physique; thus, it is important to work on maintaining your muscle mass.
AIM FOR AT LEAST 30 MINUTES A DAY (but remember every little bit helps, so do what you can).
NEVER start an exercise regimen without first consulting your primary physician. ALWAYS warm up before and cool down after your workout to avoid getting injured.
6 Health benefits of exercise
- Controls weight (provided you don’t over-indulge after your workout)
- Boosts your high-density lipoprotein (HDL)- the good cholesterol
- Combats various health conditions and diseases (DM, HTN, ADHD, etc.)
- Improves your emotional state-puts you in a better mood
- Promotes better sleep, provided you don’t work out too close to bedtime (although some may find they sleep better after a good workout)
- Improves your energy level