Heal your mind, heal your body and soul and improve your total health. You are what you think; therefore, try changing your thoughts by changing your perspective and focus. In the heat of the moment, your thoughts and emotions may push you to make choices that are not necessarily what’s best for you.
neutralize your emotions to gain clarity
Calm your emotions by taking a moment to breathe (consider a mindful pause). Take a breath slowly in to the count four; hold for the count of two; and then slowly breathe out for the count of four. Repeat this cycle at least four times or until clarity returns and you can process the situation logically and rationally.
Put things into perspective. Nine times out of ten, things are not as bad as they initially seem and contrary to your initial thought, you will be able to handle things. This does not mean you won’t get upset or you won’t cry; however, once you have gotten control of your emotions, you will begin the process of figuring out what steps you will need to take to respond to the situation in an effective manner.
Never say never; however, this is a definite NEVER. Never make any decision when you are consumed by emotions and always count the consequences of your decision.
gain an upper hand on your emotions
Gain knowledge. Knowledge is truly power. If you don’t know something or fully comprehend something, ask someone you trust. If that is not an option, use a reputable site online or go to the library.
TRY THE FOLLOWING TO BREAK THE CYCLE OF NEGATIVE THOUGHTS:
- Instead of running away (going to the gym, pub or Macys), CHALLENGE the VALIDITY of those thoughts.
- Fake it until it becomes a reality (SMILE even when your heart is breaking).
- Learn healthier ways to cope with stress like practicing MINDFULNESS or COGNITIVE DEFUSION.
- ACCEPT what’s happening, then COMMIT to taking the necessary steps to make healthy and effective changes.
- Focus on the positives in your life (show gratitude).
- Know when to ask for help (be humble).
it takes time to heal, but healing is possible
The same way that bad habits are formed is the same way that healthier habits can be formed; however, it takes work and patience to change those bad habits to healthier ones. Change may be difficult; however, it is not impossible and with the right tools and support you can create sustainable healthier habits.