We have all been there, it’s a new year and you are excited about changing something in your life. You have good intentions, and you get off to a promising start; however, a week later, your enthusiasm begins to wane and before you know it, you have fallen right back into doing things the same old way.
6 simple steps to make this new year’s resolution to lose weight a reality
- Remember why?
- Take baby steps daily.
- Be consistent.
- Eat foods that fill you up without the excessive amounts of calories.
- Have grilled or baked instead or fried foods.
- Move more.
KNOW YOUR DEEPEST REASON WHY
WHY SHOULD YOUR HEALTH be at the top of the list of your priorities? Ask this question eight times until you have a convincing enough reason to motivate you to change your current unhealthy lifestyle. Remember, your health is not just physical; to be fully healthy, you need to be also healthy spiritually, emotionally and financially.
- Get a vision of the healthier you, embrace the feeling of that healthier you.
- How do you feel as a healthier person?
Let those positive feelings motivate you when you are tempted to fall back into unhealthy habits.
make your health a daily priority
Do one thing from each of the four pillars daily. The mistake many people make is thinking that it must be something big and flashy. Small steps are easier to take than big ones and you are more likely to sustain those smaller steps than the bigger ones, which with time will become the healthier lifestyle that you want.
20 small steps to choose from DAILY
- Upon awakening, give thanks for something that you are grateful for
- Say something positive to yourself each hour (or at least 4x a day)
- Say or do something positive for someone else
- Smile often
- Eat a healthy breakfast
- Eat a piece of fruit instead of a processed carbohydrate snack
- Walk up the stairs instead of taking the elevator if there are no medical contraindications
- Drink a glass of water instead of eating an unhealthy snack
- Walk in place for 2 minutes, jog if you prefer and there are no medical contraindications
- Hold the plank for 1 minute (try 10 secs if you are just starting out)
- Mediate for 5 minutes
- Take a moment to breathe (10 breaths: 4 count in-2 count hold-4 count out)
- Recite the Lord’s prayer
- Recite your favorite verse from the Bible
- Listen to your favorite song
- Take your lunch to work
- Bring your coffee from home
- Bring healthy snacks from home and avoid wasting money in vending machines or the corner store
- Do one thing daily that moves you in the direction of accomplishing your goal
- Focus on what you have
Although they are small steps, making them a part of your daily routine will result in tremendous results. When you succeed at these small goals, you build your confidence and you will be inspired and motivated to keep taking more healthy steps. Before you know it, you would have created a new healthier lifestyle. Little steps matter, so take a few today and begin to see the change you envisioned and desired.
Believe in you and know you are worth it!